Luxury on a Budget Travel Tips
Article by Meghan Burton
Do you love travelling like a queen, but don’t have the money to do it often? It’s an issue many of us have, because quite simply travelling and staying in nice hotels is expensive. You can do it on a shoestring if you’re willing to head out with a backpack and nothing else, staying in hostels or on friends’ couches, and you can have an amazing experience that way. Let’s face it, though, we all like a bit of luxury and pampering. Here are five tips to help you get luxury on a budget while travelling.
1. Go in the off season. Sure, you’re taking a bit of a risk. The rainy season can be, well, rainy. But most places are gorgeous year-round and hotels will be looking to fill their rooms with discounts and upgrades, especially if you’re going on a special trip like a honeymoon or a wedding abroad.
2. If you’re trying to save money, make a budget and stick closely to it. Figure out how much you’re willing to pay for everything and don’t dismiss opportunities out of hand. Look for ways to cut corners, like on food spending, and use the extra on the parts of your holiday that really matters to you.
3. Consider more out of the way places. Go to an unusual country – there may not be as many hotels to choose from, but you might find that food and activities are cheaper than places which can take advantage of tourists. Many Asian countries, like Bali, are cheaper to visit because of exchange rates. Head slightly further away from the centre of cities or islands. Investigate not only the cost of your resort but the cost of the things you might like to do while you’re away. Plus, see what activities are included with your hotel cost. You might find that you’re getting a lot for a small increase in price. If you were planning on those things anyway, go with it.
4. Compare deals. Go to a variety of different travel agents and see what they offer you. They are always eager to win your business from one another, so see if any of them can do you a deal. Before getting companies involved, go online and see what you’ll pay if you purchase everything individually, and then use that quote to ask agents what they’d plan on charging you.
5. Go last minute. It can be risky, but if you go check out the last minute deals you’ll find that they can be substantially cheaper than ordinary travel packages. Even better if you can go all-inclusive on something like a cruise – they’ll be losing money if they sail with empty berths, so you may just get an absolute bargain. Booking a week and a bit off and then taking a chance at the travel agents’ definitely means you’re taking a chance, but it can pay off in a big way.
Getting luxury on a budget is never easy, but with these five tips in place you’ll be well on your way to having holiday after holiday of your dreams without paying a fortune for it.
About the Author
Meghan Burton recommends The Turquoise Holiday Company for luxury holidays and honeymoons.
Related Budget Travel Bali Articles