10 Countries To Travel On The Cheap
Article by DeanW
Travelling the world can be expensive, particularly in countries like Australia, the United States, the UK or Western Europe. Hotels, food and sightseeing can quickly add up and eat up your budget in no time. Although these places are expensive, there are many other countries that you can travel on very little money. Here are 10 countries to travel on the cheap.
1. LaosLaos is a beautiful landlocked country in South-East Asia, bordered by Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam and China. Rich in culture and natural beauty, Laos has a lot to offer the budget traveller. Guest houses are cheap and it’s quite easy to find one under per night. Like most Asian countries, street food is aplenty and very cheap at around per meal. Even restaurant meals will only cost a couple of dollars. It’s quite easy to travel Laos on – per day.
2. GuatemalaThere are many bargains to be had in Central America, but Guatemala is a lot cheaper than the more popular Panama and Costa Rica. Beautiful beaches, rainforest, mountains and ancient ruins are all on offer, and it can be travelled on the cheap. It’s easy to get a room under per night and cheap eats are available as well at only a couple of dollars per meal. It’s possible to travel Guatemala on under per day.
3. GreeceIt’s possible to travel on the cheap in Europe. Greece is particularly cheap now due to the recession, and it’s a great option for budget travellers. Hostel rooms can be found for per night, and street food is available, with delicious gyros costing only -. Even with a few restaurant meals you can easily travel Greece for under per day.
4. IndiaIndia has always been a cheap country to travel, and with such a rich culture and so much to see and do, it makes an excellent budget travel destination. Rooms can range greatly in price depending on where you go and what comfort level you want, however cheap options are almost always available. Cheap food is also always available, and tastes amazing! It’s possible to travel India on – per day.
5. CambodiaLike Laos, Cambodia is another country full of culture and beauty, with a lot to see and do. Rooms can be found for as little as per night, however a budget of per night is reasonable. Street food in Cambodia is wonderful and costs under per meal, while restaurant meals cost only a couple of dollars as well. Some people have been known to travel Cambodia on as little as per day, but it’s more reasonable to budget – per day and really enjoy yourself.
6. RomaniaThere are many budget options in Eastern Europe and Romania is a great choice. Full of history and interesting people and places, it doesn’t receive the attention that it deserves. If you stay in hostels and eat at cheap eateries, you can travel Romania on – per day.
7.BoliviaBolivia is an excellent budget destination in South America. High up in the Andes, Bolivia offers a lot to see and do. You can get a room for under per night, while food can be as low as per meal, depending on where you eat. A good budget for Bolivia is around per day.
8. VietnamLike other South East Asian countries, Vietnam is perfect for budget travellers and is full of great culture and natural beauty. Comfortable rooms cost around per night and street food is all under per meal. Restaurant meals only cost – per meal. It’s possible to travel on under per day in Vietnam, however a more comfortable budget would be around – per day.
9. HondurasAnother Central American bargain is the lovely little country of Honduras. You can find rooms for under per night, while cheap meals only cost a few dollars. It’s quite feasible to travel in Honduras on under per day.
10. NepalNepal is probably the cheapest country I have been to, and possible the most beautiful. It’s a very poor country and travel costs reflect that. Budget rooms and local meals only cost a few dollars. If you wanted to, it would be possible to travel in Nepal for under per day, however it largely depends on what you want to do. If you take trekking tours etc, then your budget will increase a lot. On that note, you can still easily travel Nepal for under per day.
There are many other countries in the world that fit into this category, these are just to name a few. Travelling the world can be very cheap if you know where to go.
About the Author
The Road to Anywhere World Travel Blog – Destination guides, travel stories, travel tips and travel photos.
Related Europe Budget Travel Articles